A brief overview of our evolution from its founding in 1876 to the present day
Turning points and defining eras
Aiming to realize DNP’s Third Corporate Founding
Making use of its strengths in printing and information (P&I), DNP will continue to deliver new value to society through Taiwa (dialogue) and collaboration with its many partners.
Contributing to a prosperous and emergent society
DNP developed its public relations activities based on its brand statement: Creating future standards. We aim to develop new products and services that contribute to solving social issues.
Playing an important role in the advancement of information society
Having judged the advent of a knowledge-based society to be a golden opportunity for business expansion, DNP started to focus on solution-oriented businesses, including the Internet and information processing services (IPS).
Taking on the future
In addition to channeling energy into our multimedia business, we also commercialized a range of new products, including smart cards, thermal transfer printing media and color filters for liquid crystal displays.
Rapid progress in response to dramatic economic change
DNP handled the design and production of numerous pavilions at the Japan World Exposition 1970 in Osaka. The experience gained there served as a springboard for broadening the arena in which DNP’s planning department was active.
Entering a new era
DNP responded to intensified labor movement activities in the printing industry following World War II by promoting labor-management cooperation and moving boldly into fields other than book and magazine printing.
The birth of Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd.
Shueisha, the predecessor of DNP, was founded in Ginza, Tokyo in 1876. In 1935, Shueisha made a fresh start by merging with Nisshin Printing Co., Ltd. to form Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd.
New Bank of Japan 10-yen note (1945)
Prototype shadowmasks for color televisions (1958)
Thermal transfer ink ribbons (1985)
Battery pouches for lithium-ion batteries (1999)
Mono-material packaging materials (2018)
Ultra-low reflection face shields (2020)
- Founding of Shueisha
- Printed the revised edition of Self Help, translated by Samuel Smiles
- Founding of Nisshin Printing Shueisha
- Merger of Shueisha and Nisshin Printing to form Dai Nippon Printing
- Printed banknotes
- Announced five-year reconstruction plan aimed at expanding fields of business
Full-scale entry into the paper container and flexible packaging field
Entered the field of decorative printed materials
- Created a prototype shadow mask for color television cathode ray tubes
- Printed the official poster for the Tokyo Olympics
- Began full-scale production of magnetic passbooks and magnetic cards
- Developed smart cards
- Development and mass production of dye-sublimation thermal transfer printing media
- Developed inline aseptic filling system for PET plastic bottles
- Created battery pouches for lithium-ion batteries
- Announced DNP Group Vision for the 21st Century
- Developed photovoltaic module components
- Successfully created capillary patterns
- Established production technology for cell sheet culture films used in regenerative medicine
- Started the e-book service
- Developed multifunctional insulation box
- Announced DNP Group Vision 2015
Developed lighting film
Began offering a payment platform service
- Successfully researched and developed intestinal organoids
- President Yoshinari Kitajima begins tenure (Toward our Third Corporate Founding)
Developed mono-material packaging materials
Developed an ultrathin, stretchable skin display in collaboration with the University of Tokyo
- Developed sheet-type coil for wireless charging of electric vehicles
Launched system platform for a personal data trust bank business
- Developed ultra-low reflection face shields
Launched color correction services for online medical treatment
Strengthened development of antibacterial and antiviral products
- The Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games held a year late due to the
DNP became an official partner of the Games (printing services) Established a new plant for lithium-ion battery cell pouches