DNP to Introduce Wide Range Equipment for Optically Functional Film
Mihara plant large scale display line to see large production increase
The Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. (DNP) Mihara plant in Hiroshima prefecture will introduce coating equipment suitable for the manufacture of optically functional film with a maximum width of 2500mm (98.4”) in line with the shift to large screen televisions. According to in-house figures from June 2018, this will be the first case of the introduction of equipment capable of such wide coating. As a result, the Company will significantly boost production of film for 65 inch televisions.
[Strengthening Manufacturing Line]
In line with the shift to large screen televisions, demands are being made for the large scaling of various components for displays, which has led to production improvements becoming a significant challenge. DNP has captured a large market share of various forms of optically functional film, including film that prevents light reflection on the display surface, film that broadens the viewing angle of displays, and that which controls light transmission and light blocking.
Currently, the Company manufactures such film at the Okayama plant in Okayama prefecture and the Mihara plant in Hiroshima prefecture. However, as production efficiency is poor for 65 inch film with existing manufacturing lines, it has been decided to introduce coating equipment to make film with a width of 2500mm (98.4”) at the Mihara plant.
[Features of New Manufacturing Line]
- With the 2500mm wide film produced on the new line, it is possible to efficiently impose and manufacture optically functional film targeting 65 inch displays that are seeing increased demand on a global basis.
- The new line has been designed to accept multi-layer coating, which is important when dealing with high function and high performance anti-reflective film.
- As a result of the introduction of the new manufacturing line, DNP will be in a position to boost manufacturing capabilities by an area multiple of 1.3 times compared to current lines.
- Capital expenditure for the new line is expected to be approximately 6.5 billion yen.
DNP plans to commence mass production with the new line from October 2019.
As a result of these measures, the Company will expand supplies to the panel makers that produce optically functional film for displays, and manufacturers of polarizing plates, aiming for sales of 100 billion yen per year in FY 2020.
* Product prices, specifications and service contents mentioned in this news release are current as of the date of publication. They may be changed at any time without notice.
Choose a category and year to see relevant articles.Choose year
Search by keywords
- Select location